Sunday, December 20, 2015

Thank you, Daniel

The end of my time as an intern is approaching. Some international interns like me might be looking forward to finishing their contracts and going back to their home countries which are more comfortable for them. In my case, I am already starting to miss Football BC. Do you know why I feel like that? The reason is very simple. That’s because I want to work longer with my supervisor, Daniel, who has provided me with outstanding opportunities for me to gain a lot of experience under my belt. Everything I have learned from him, I truly value.
 


I want share with you some of the things that he has done for me that have greatly influenced me.
 
When I was in Japan, I was a firefighter. Unfortunately, I ended up quitting that prestigious career because at that time I felt I did not have a strong enough mentality to handle the hardships and expectations as a firefighter. I lost almost all the confidence that I had been building since I was a child and suffered from a great deal of depression. At the same time, I was intimidated with challenging myself again and had tried to avoid working in a serious environment, which caused me a lot of pressure until joining Football BC. So, working in Football BC was extremely important turning point to getting myself back.
 

 
I feel like I have gained so much of my confidence back since joining Football BC. From experiences such as going on business trips, interviewing with a Japanese player, and so on, I am trying to challenging myself all the time even though I still struggle sometimes to communicate like native English speakers. That’s because Daniel helps me grow as a communications assistant by giving me informative advice. In addition, he puts a lot of trust in me which makes me want to live up to his expectations and contribute to Football BC.
 

 
Let me tell you what makes him different from other supervisors.
 
1. He is a role model as a supervisor.
 
He never blames me for making mistakes and praises me after I have done each task, which helps me work smoothly and comfortably because I can challenge myself without being afraid.
 
 

2. He is an extremely reliable individual.
 
When I went on a trip to Kamloops by myself, I encountered a lot of challenging experiences I had to deal with. But, I was able to complete all my tasks because Daniel supported me all the time even though he had a lot on his plate at BC Place at the same day. I must say without him, I would not have succeeded in the trip.
 

 

3. He is an amazing writer.
 
Some people might think I am good at writing blogs. The reason is he always proofreads my draft after I have finished up. Therefore, I am able to enhance my writing skills and familiarize myself with a more reader-friendly writing style day-by-day. At the same time, I learned I should not compare someone with others and try to avoid stereotypes when I write.
 
 

 
4. He is an efficient and organized person.
 
I learned from him that I have to be familiar with computer skills, especially Excel, coupled with enhancing my typing speed if I want to be a competent business person like him (His typing speed is outstanding). In addition, he taught me I had to compile every file I worked with neatly just in case. I think I am getting to be an efficient business person little by little trying to imitate his work style.
 

 
5. He is courteous and generous.
 
When I look like I’ve been working too hard, he definitely worries about my condition and tells me to take a break. Also, he is often generous whenever we are traveling or working long hours and will treat me to meals. What is more, he gives me a ride whenever we participate in any events. I realized that style is a common practice among Canadians and helps encourage socializing.
 
 
Let me take the time here to give advice for people looking for a job. In my opinion, the best way to recognize what companies will be a good fit when you job hunt is not the size of the company or the amount of salary, it is the reputation and personalities of your potential supervisor. When finding these type of people, you will be able to take full advantage of your skills like I have. In my case, I hesitated to apply for Football BC because I had no knowledge about football but I heard from former interns working at Football BC a lot of positive things about Daniel, which means if there had not been a great supervisor, I would not work here now. Even after I joined Football BC, what I heard from people who know Daniel is only amazing feedback. I must say I am a very happy person because I work with him all the time while growing as an individual. Thanks to Daniel, I was able to learn how to be not only a competent business person, but also a successful individual. I hope you can find outstanding supervisors that can change your life in a positive way. Daniel is definitely one of my mentors.
 

 
Finally, I really appreciate all of his kindness. I must say without him, I would not have regained my confidence, while improving my English and business skills. In the meanwhile, I would really like to show my appreciation for him in the future. So, what I have to do is to absorb everything I learned and make the best of these to contribute to my future job. I believe I can do it because Daniel is always on my side. I hope I am a competent business person like him and can work together with him again in the future.
 

I think my next blog might be my final one as an intern. So, I hope you are looking forward to reading it. If you have any requests or topics you want me to update, please feel free to ask me. Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment