Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Into the end zone

I can’t believe it. This is my final blog as an intern. I never pictured this day coming when I started three months ago.


 

First of all, I want to express my thanks to everyone who read my blog so far. Without you, I would not have felt so motivated to write this blog and to make it enjoyable to read.
 
As this is my last blog, I thought this would be a good time to do some reflection. I would like to look back and describe the five most memorable experiences I have had since I joined Football BC.


5. Kelowna trip
 

 

This was my first business trip far from Vancouver. Of course, I was excited to watch the Okanagan Sun become BCFC champions after a 54-0 shutout win over the Vancouver Island Raiders at the Apple Bowl on October 25. However, the reason why I consider this a top-five moment is because I felt it was a turning point in my internship. It allowed me to spend more time with my supervisor, Daniel, which gave me an opportunity to talk with him not only about work matters but also get his advice on how to be a professional working Canada. I also got to learn about his background and also make small talk. I must say the experience helped me build a great relationship with Daniel. I clearly remember my friends said if they were in my shoes, they might decline the business trip because it would be so challenging to communicate with a native English speaker for a long time because they might get frustrated at the language barrier. When I heard their opinion, I realized that I had a completely different thought process in terms of studying English because I was dying to going there with Daniel to challenge myself. From my experience, the best way to speak English efficiently is that we try not to speak our own language as much as we can and enjoy talking with native English speakers positively without being afraid of making mistakes. This attitude not only helps you persuade native English speakers to understand your great efforts, but also makes you different from other learners. I always keep that in mind. As a result, I have been improving my English little by little.
 
4. UBC games
 
 


As you know, UBC was to become the 2015 Vanier Cup Champion for the first time since 1997, which means UBC is the strongest team among all Canadian Universities. Before that outstanding achievement, I watched the UBC Thunderbirds’ games at UBC twice, which was an experience I treasured. It seemed that few people expected UBC to win the championship at that time because UBC’s record in the regular season was not so great compared to every team UBC beat throughout the playoffs. However, in the end, UBC was the best team. This is a great example of how the future is unpredictable.
 
When I made up my mind to become a firefighter, most of my friends did not expect me to pass the examination because of the highly competitive rate. But I did it. In addition, when I started to study English three years ago, I could not speak English at all. So, people assumed what I was doing at the time was a waste of time and money. But I can say I am getting to speak English much better than other Japanese people right now. From the UBC games, I learned that the future depends on what you do in the present. So, even if someone says to me it is impossible to achieve goals, I won’t give up.
 
3. BC Place
 






Thanks to Football BC, I was able to go to BC Place three times as a worker. This experience had a great influence on me because I felt like I contributed to Football BC as a photographer and grew as a business person due to the professional sports environment, which was exactly what I was looking for. In addition, I learned what an appropriate attitude was in order to work in a professional sports field like BC Place.
 
For example, everybody I met in BC Place was sophisticated and tried not to make even one mistake. Whenever I stepped onto the field, I was asked my title and position. If I had not learned how to communicate people tactfully from Daniel and Gastown Business College, I might have been denied access. I think I can work in any international sports management field with a professional approach because of this unforgettable opportunity.
 
2. Business trip to Kamloops
 


When I look back on the trip, I really appreciate Canadian people’s kindness. I met a lot of people who helped me to succeed in my business trip. In particular, I cannot say thank you enough to Brian Olthuis, a legendary football coach and a Football BC executive member because he not only invited me to stay in his home overnight but also introduced a lot of his friends to me which helped my work go smoothly. He also took me to my very first hockey game in Canada, which is something I will never forget. Thanks to this experience, I learned how to make a great first impression and how to break the ice in order to build a great relationship after that.
 
1.  Interviews with Michael Calvert and Masaki Kawanami
 

I am so honored that I was able to interview two skilled high school football players. When it comes to Michael, he is my favorite and the most skilled player I have encountered. He is also the most patient individual I have ever met among high school players. Without him and the experience from that first interview, I would not have had the confidence to interview Masaki later on. Thank you, Michael.
 
As for Masaki Kawanami, he overwhelmed me because he is not only an amazing football player chosen as an all-star member, but a tactful communicator in English even though he is still so young. I was able to be motivated to work hard and make his interview sound great thanks to his passion and enthusiasm. Even after we go back to Japan, I would like to keep in touch with him to know what the future holds for him. Thank you, Masaki.
 
Finally, I would like to say thank you to Football BC because of the very precious opportunity they gave me for three months. It was especially great to work with my previous coworker and former intern in Leo, a great Japanese interviewer and colleague in Michiko, and my role model, Daniel. (And of course everybody who gave me a hand throughout my practicum). I promise I will take full advantage of every skill I have learned to contribute to my future career. I believe I can do it as long as I keep in mind my motto “All my efforts will pay off as long as I do my best”. Thank you so much for reading my blog every day. I hope you all were able to gain something positive from doing so.
 
I wish you all the best in the future and I will keep my fingers crossed that I will hopefully be able to work with football again one day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment